My dream began...




















[Image: Anne Lee]

Anxiety turnd on her quiet face
& reccolections woud old memorys trace
She seemd at first as living beauty seems
Then changd more lovly in the shade of dreams
Then faded dim confusd & hurring bye
Like memory wearing into vacancy
I coud not move nor speak yet reasons power
Seemd wide awake in that spell prisoning hour
I felt as tried what ere the lot might be
& strove & struggled oer my destiny
& then my eyes in hopless wandering spied
That lovly shadow that had been my guide

Her face grew pale & awful yet a shade
Of beauty hung in every change it made

from "The Nightmare"
The Poems of John Clare
ed. J. W. Tibble (2 volumes, Dent, 1935)

We believe that this poem formed an important part of the story of John Clare and Mary Joyce's relationship, which Anne Lee and I published in 2014 under the title "In the Shadows".  A few copies are still available.

No comments: