From "The Sailor's Return"

Leading up to the John Clare Society Festival in Helpston on Saturday 14th July, (with associated events on the 13th and 15th), a short series of excerpts, through Clare’s eyes, of the heaths, fields and fens around his home.

This year not only is Ronald Blythe giving his much anticipated annual President’s Address, but also Richard Mabey is giving a Keynote Address on “Clare – Botanist or Flower Arranger”. See you there?

T’was down in the cow pasture, just at the gloaming,
I met a young woman sweet tempered and mild,
I said “Pretty maiden, say, where are you roving?”
“I'm walking at even,” she answered, and smiled.
“Here my sweetheart and I gathered posies at even;
It's eight years ago since they sent him to sea.
Wild flowers hung with dew are like angels from heaven:
They look up in my face and keep whispering to me.”

No comments: